Articles by Alvarez Porter Group
- Organizational Change at SEIU 1996-2007 , by Adrienne Eaton, Janice Fine, Allison Porter and Saul Rubenstein
- Appreciative Approach to Change in Unions , by Joe Alvarez.
Paper presented January 6, 2008 at the Labor and Employment Relations Association 60th Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA.
- Turning Ideas Into Reality: Local leaders share what they think about member engagement, and how they’re working to make it happen , by Allison Porter
- Can Unions Change? Presentation to OD Network Conference October 2010, by Joe Alvarez and Allison Porter
Let us administer and help you interpret results of the following self assessment instruments:
- Myer’s Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)
- After fifty years of research and development, the current MBTI is the most widely used instrument for understanding normal personality differences. It identifies personality across four spectrums: Introverted-Extroverted, Intuitive-Sensing, Thinking-Feeling, and Judging-Perceiving.
- Emotional and Social Competency Inventory (ESCI) 360
- Based on decades of research in emotional intelligence, ESCI model measures competency in four areas of ability: self-awareness, social awareness, self-management and relationship management
- Leadership Practices Inventory (LPI)
- 25 years of research and thousands of leaders later, the LPI looks at five dimensions of leadership: challenging the process, inspiring a shared vision, enabling others to act, modeling the way and encouraging the heart.
- Find out what you expressed and wanted needs are for inclusion, control and relatedness in groups. A useful instrument for generating dialogue on team dynamics. Connects to findings in brain science and can be supplemented with the SCARF self-assessment.
Learn more about…
Organization Development Masters programs:
American University offers a masters of science in Organization Development and Change. The Merrilee Milstein Scholarship  is available for people who attend this program in order to work with unions.
Leadership Development opportunities:
The New York State AFL-CIO/Cornell University ILR Union Leadership Institute  offers an intensive one year executive development program for union leaders to better prepare themselves and their organizations for the challenges ahead.
Neuroleadership [Brain Science]:
Jacobs, Charles. Management Rewired: Why Feedback Doesn’t Work and Other Surprising Lessons from the Latest in Brain Science, 2009.
Pink, Daniel. Selling is Human: the surprising truth about moving others. 2012.
Heath, Chip & Heath, Dan. Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard, 2010.
Goleman, Daniel, The Brain and Emotional Intelligence: New Insgihts 2011
Strategic Planning and Leading Change
Allison, Michael and Kaye, Jude. Strategic Planning for Nonprofit Organizations: a practical guide. (2005) Wiley.
Anderson and Ackerman-Anderson, The Change Leader’s Roadmap: How to navigate your organization’s transformation (2001) Jossey-Bass.
Bell, Jeanne et al. Non-profit Sustainability: making strategic decisions for financial viability (2010) Jossey Bass.
Anderson and Ackerman-Anderson, Beyond Change Management: Advanced strategies for today’s change leaders (2001) Jossey-Bass.
Galbraith, Jay R., Designing Organizations: An Executive briefing on strategy, structure and process. (1995) Jossey-Bass.
Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice
Caver, K., Thomas, D.A., Ely, R.J., Hewlett, S.A., Buck Luce, C., West, C., Livers, A.B. (2009). Required Reading for White Executives, 2nd Edition (Harvard Business Review Article Collection). Harvard Business Review.
Cox, Jr., T., and R.L. Beale (1997). Developing Competency to Manage Diversity: Readings, Cases, and Activities. Berrett-Koehler Publishers, Inc.: San Francisco.
DeRosa, Patti. (2001). “Social Change or Status Quo? Approaches to Diversity Training.” Dowloaded on August 7, 2011 from http://www.changeworksconsulting.org/articles.html .
Patterson, Kerry, Grenny, Joseph, et al. Crucial Confrontations: tools for resolving broken promises, violated expectations and bad behavior (2005) McGraw.
Cloke, Kenneth and Goldsmith, Joan. Resolving Conflicts at Work: Eight strategies for everyone on the job. (2005) Jossey Bass.
Justice, Tom and Jamieson, David, The Facilitator’s Fieldbook, 2nd Ed. (2006). HRD Press.
Panel on the Nonprofit Sector. Principles for Good Governance and Ethical Practice: A Guide for Charities and Foundations (2007).
Schwarz, Roger, The Skilled Facilitator, New & Revised (2002), Jossey-Bass.
Burke, Bev, D’Arcy, Martin, et al, Educating for Changing Unions, (2002), BTL.
Leadership & Management
Watkins, Michael . The First 90 Days: Critical Success Strategies for New Leaders At All Levels (2003), Boston: Harvard Business School Press.
Bennis, Warren and Goldsmith, Joan. Learning to Lead: A Workbook on Becoming a Leader, (2003) Basic Books.
Hauser, Jerry and Green, Alison. Managing to Change the World, (Revised Edition 2012) The Management Center.